How can you not enjoy the cheese of the day?
Provolone cheese facts:
- Provolone originated in southern Italy, and has been made there since Roman times. However, it is currently mainly produced in northern Italy.
- Provolone cheese has two distinct types. Provolone Dolce is aged for 2-3 months and has a pale yellowish white color and sweet taste. Provolone Piccante is aged for more than four months and has a sharper taste. In America, most Provolone is Provolone Dolce.
- Provolone is high in calcium and protein but is also high in sodium.
- It is a full fat cow’s milk cheese, but also can be made from buffalo milk.
- Provolone is semi-hard and smooth to the touch, and has a mild, smoky flavor because it is aged in a room next to an open fire.
- Due to its mild, buttery flavor, provolone cheese is versatile and is often sliced and used for sandwiches, grated onto soups, pizza or salads, or melted…
View original post 30 more words